Ciprofloxacino is Spanish for Ciprofloxacin. It is an antibiotic that is used to treat various bacterial infections; it is an antibiotic in a group of fluoroquinolones with effect bactericides. What it does is paralyze the bacterial replication of DNA by way of binding with an enzyme known as DNA gyrase (that's blocked). DNA gyrase is the one that undoes the supercoiling of double stranded DNA -- which enables other enzymes to replicate. The bacterium would not divide and then die without proliferate over time.

Ciprofloxacin's range of activities includes various strains of bacterial pathogens that cause urinary tract, respiratory, abdominal, and gastrointestinal infections (including Gram-positive, and Gram-negative bacterial pathogens). This antibiotic, along with other fluoroquinolones, is very useful for this wide spectrum of activity, and is extremely valued because they penetrate tissues really well, and because they are easily available -- whether in intravenous or oral formulations.

Ciprofloxacin is one of the best treatments for canine UTI, particularly in dogs/puppies that are at least twenty eight weeks old. For every pound, the dosage is 2.27 to 6.8 milligrams, given every twelve hours. While this prescription medication isn't FDA-approved for veterinary use, veterinarians usually prescribe it for dogs and cats. When one gives medication to his/her dog, it is important to follow the dosage directions provided by the vet, and to continue doing so until the medication is gone, unless the vet tells him/her otherwise.

Symptoms will start to subside even before the medication is finished, but the dog owner should continue giving it if he or she doesn't want the bacteria to develop resistance. Killing the bacteria will be significantly more difficult if they develop a resistance to the medication. The medication can be given to the dog with or without food, but the owner must ensure that he/she gives it roughly the same time each day. It is also advised to provide the dog with lots of clean water in order for it to rehydrate whenever it wishes to do so. As much as possible, missing a dose should be avoided, but missing one isn't the end of the world. The owner should give it as soon as he/she remembers; he/she should never give more than one dose though, even if it's almost time for the next dose -- just give that one dose and skip the missed one.